Our online Criminal Justice master’s degree program combines criminological and organizational theory with policy and practice to help prepare you for leadership roles in the criminal justice field. During the program, you’ll participate in academically rigorous coursework designed to help you develop a comprehensive understanding of the public and private sides of today’s criminal justice landscape.
- Complete your degree in less than 2 years
- 8-week courses
- Competitive tuition
- Learn from industry leaders
- Career-focused curriculum
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to:
- Demonstrate how criminological theory informs public policy and shapes the operation of the American criminal justice system.
- Use management theory to evaluate the operation of a criminal justice agency and suggest policy changes to improve the operational effectiveness of the organization.
- Articulate the importance of cultural and global diversity in creating a fair and just criminal justice system.
- Apply moral philosophy to professional and ethical decision making in the field of criminal justice.
- Utilize team leadership skills that include collaboration, problem solving, ethical awareness and appreciation of diversity to address problems faced by criminal justice agencies.
- Communicate appropriately and effectively within various organizational contexts, employing appropriate technologies to organize and present information to address a range of audiences and purposes.
- Analyze, evaluate and synthesize original criminal justice research that utilizes the scientific method and appropriate sampling, measurement and data collection techniques; evaluate proper data presentation, considering the ethics and politics of reporting.
- Complete coursework and assignments at your own pace through our convenient online format
- Learn from faculty with years of experience in the criminal justice field, who can help inform your career
- Participate in experiential learning assignments, designed to prepare you for advanced-level positions with public and private organizations
During this program, you’ll take courses like:
- Advanced Administration of Criminal Justice
- Contemporary Criminology and Crime Prevention
- Criminal Justice Ethics and Diversity in a Global Environment
- Criminal Justice Research Methods
- Juvenile Justice Issues
- And more
*Graduates of this program will earn a Master of Science degree.
Want to explore careers in this field? Through EMSI’s Career Coach tool, you can browse careers by degree program and get research-backed information on various industries. You can also take an in-depth assessment to determine career suggestions based on your personal interests. For more information about Criminal Justice careers, click the Career Coach button below.
You are now leaving Johnson & Wales’ (JWU) site and going to a site not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or availability of any site other than our own.The information provided on the site is provided by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). EMSI has indicated to us the information provided is fair and reasonable. We do not make any representations or warranties, nor do we accept liability or responsibility, as to the accuracy or use of the information. Additional links may also be provided, including those relating to employment opportunities.
You are responsible for performing due diligence, such as ensuring the listings are for actual jobs and that your private and personal information are protected, when using or relying on information from any site.
“In the online environment, I think it’s important to have a presence in the classroom. That means participating with students in discussions, providing them with feedback, and responding to questions/emails in a timely manner.”
— Dawna Komorosky, PhD