Explore the connection between personal experiences and public issues with a degree in sociology from Johnson & Wales University.
Learn how to apply the sociological perspective across the human world, from small-scale groups to international institutions. This online sociology degree equips students to answer questions about contemporary cultures, cities, and inequalities, such as: How do new technologies affect social lives and cultures? What are the benefits and risks as millions of people move from rural to urban lives? How do inequalities of class, race and gender reinforce or sometimes contradict each other?
Students in this program will develop analytic and expressive skills and gain an array of pragmatic tools from program evaluation to grant writing.
Ready to take the next step? Start your application today.
This program is offered in collaboration with JWU’s John Hazen White College of Arts & Sciences.
- 4 Years to complete your degree
- 8-week course length*
- 15:1 student to faculty ratio
- 96.8% career outcomes rate
- 100% Online career-focused curriculum
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to:
- Apply sociological theories and research methods to various social issues.
- Develop a sociological imagination and use it to explain, in the language of the profession, the correlates, causes and consequences of various social issues.
- Examine the ways in which various social forces — i.e., individuals, groups, cultures and institutions — contribute to both social reproduction and social change.
- Apply theories and methods to evaluate policies and programs at multiple levels of organizations: local, state, national and global.
- Identify and explain sociologically informed possibilities and strategies for positive social change.
- Benefit from our 100-percent online format, designed to fit your schedule
- Take advantage of four convenient start dates that allow you to begin when you are ready
- Participate in experiential education, which gives you real-world exposure
- Learn from faculty who are industry experts with years of professional experience
- Prepare for a variety of careers in business
While pursuing your online degree in sociology, you’ll take major courses like:
- Classical Sociological Theories
- Intersecting Inequalities
- And more
*Some courses may be 16 weeks long.
Want to explore careers in this field? Through EMSI’s Career Coach tool, you can browse careers by degree program and get research-backed information on various industries. You can also take an in-depth assessment to determine career suggestions based on your personal interests. For more information about Sociology careers, click the Career Coach button below.
You are now leaving Johnson & Wales’ (JWU) site and going to a site not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or availability of any site other than our own.The information provided on the site is provided by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). EMSI has indicated to us the information provided is fair and reasonable. We do not make any representations or warranties, nor do we accept liability or responsibility, as to the accuracy or use of the information. Additional links may also be provided, including those relating to employment opportunities.
You are responsible for performing due diligence, such as ensuring the listings are for actual jobs and that your private and personal information are protected, when using or relying on information from any site.