- Food and Beverage Director
- Developed food and beverage training manuals for fine dining private clubs
- Wrote a wine service manual
- Worked in leadership positions in hotels, restaurants, catering, and private clubs
- Owns a consulting company
BS in Hospitality Management, Florida International University
MBA, Nova Southeastern University
PhD in Educational Leadership, Florida Atlantic University (in progress)
Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) – Society of Wine Educators
Certified Guest Service Professional – American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
Certificate in Reputation Management for Front-Line Staff - American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
ServSafe Alcohol Certified Proctor and Instructor - National Restaurant Association
ServSafe Food Production Manager Certified Proctor and Instructor - National Restaurant Association
CARE Certified Facilitator - Controlling Alcohol Risks Effectively - American Hotel & Lodging Association
40 credit hours towards a Sommelier certification - Allied Domecq Academy of Wine
STAR Certified Service Director - ClubCorp
ServicePlus Certificate of Hyatt Hotels Steps of Service - Hyatt University
TAP Series Facilitator - Food Safety Manager Certification
TIPS Certification Card - Health Communications, Inc.
What online courses could a student possibly take from you?
FSM3001 Food Service Management Systems and Human Resource Applications
FSM2055 Beverage Appreciation
HOSP4060 Hospitality Strategic Management
FSM3012 Advanced Menu Analysis
What do you like most about teaching online?
- Getting to know students from different places and different background and experience
- Accompanying students in their educational journey
- Learning from students
What strategies do you use to keep students engaged?
- Consistent and timely communication
- Videos, discussion boards, and engaging students in meaningful online activities
- Keeping information fresh and relevant, and relate the course content to real-life scenarios
How do you bring the industry to life in class?
I have extensive industry experience. I always make an effort to share stories and situations I have encountered into the online classroom. I always enjoy reading how students respond to real-life scenarios. I believe it adds great value to the learning experience.
Do you have any advice for prospective students?
Time management and self-discipline is vital to students taking classes online. I've been teaching online for several years now, and I noticed that students who manage their time properly, excel in the online classroom. It is not always easy, but can be very rewarding with the right amount of effort and dedication. Online learning can be a lot of fun!
Want to learn more about earning your Hospitality degree online with Oren Hertz? Complete the “Request Info” form on this page or call 855-JWU-1881.