- Extensive hospitality industry experience, stretching back 30 years
- Holds a number of certifications, including AH&LA Certified Hospitality Education, The Wine and Spirits Education Trust Certificates in Wine and Spirits and in Professional Spirits Management
- Author of more than 30 articles for national professional food and beverage publications
B.A., Harvard University
MBA, University of Rhode Island
American Hotel & Lodging Association Certified Hospitality Education
Level 2 Certificate in Wine from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust
Level 2 Professional Certificate in Spirits from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust
What online courses could a student possibly take from you?
FSM4880 Beverage Operations Management
FSM4061 Advanced Food Service Operations Management
What do you like most about teaching online?
I very much enjoy working with online students. Their industry and life experiences and commitment to their education adds to the richness of the learning environment.
What strategies do you use to keep students engaged?
- I encourage collaboration among groups that may be working together.
- I encourage collaboration among individual class members and across groups, asking students to comment on each other’s opinions or work.
- I constantly encourage students to contact me at their convenience and respond to that conact in a timely and meaningful manner.
How do you bring the industry to life in class?
- I constantly update articles and assignments to provide current, real-world examples and assignments.
- I use examples from my own industry work, both past and present.
Do you have any career advice for prospective students?
Things change. The industry changes, your priorities change, and your interests change. Having a breadth of industry experience and appropriate educational credentials makes you more valuable and allows you to be more flexible so that you can match your career choices to your life choices. Students should pursue both.
Want to learn more about earning your undergraduate degree in Food Service Management with Brian Warrener? Complete the “Request Info” form on this page or call 855-JWU-1881. Click here for information on our other degree programs.
Career Catalyst blog posts