With a growing economy and demanding tax regulations, the Bureau of Labor Statistics says the need for skilled accountants and auditors will continue to rise in the coming years.
Looking to become an accounting professional? This online accounting degree will prepare you for a variety of entry-level opportunities in public accounting firms and will expose you to a number of specific areas within the accounting profession. Topics of study include financial accounting, managerial accounting, and auditing. As a student, you'll receive a solid foundation in accounting theory and practice as well as business, communications, and general studies.
Upon completion, students will be poised to begin careers in private, governmental, and nonprofit organizations. Possible positions include staff accountants, cost accountants, tax accountants, and auditors.
- Complete your degree in four years
- 11-week courses
- Competitive tuition
- Learn from industry leaders
- Career-focused curriculum
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to:
- Apply the major concepts, skills, and values of the accounting profession.
- Communicate effectively to diverse audiences, purposes, and situations through a variety of professional methods required in the field of accounting.
- Use decision-support tools to solve problems and facilitate organizational processes.
- Identify, analyze and resolve ethical issues related to accounting decisions.
- Identify and analyze global business issues and transactions and apply the appropriate accounting technical skills necessary to address issues and record transactions.
- Complete coursework and assignments at your own pace through our convenient online format
- Learn from faculty with years of experience in the accounting field, who can help inform your career
- Participate in experiential learning assignments, designed to prepare you for advanced-level positions with public and private organizations
- Prepare for a variety of accounting careers in various environments
Students wishing to satisfy the 150 Hours of College Education requirement, now required in many states before being allowed to take the Uniform Certified Public Accountants Examination, may achieve this objective and at the same time earn a master's degree by applying for acceptance to the university's MBA program at the end of their junior year. Acceptance will be granted provided the student receives the recommendation of two undergraduate faculty members, successfully completes an interview process, fulfills the requirements for the bachelor of science degree, and meets the minimum GPA requirement. Students wishing to pursue CPA licensure can learn about specific licensure requirements by clicking on this National Association of State Boards of Accountancy webpage.
Students in this online accounting program will take courses like:
- Accounting Software
- Internal Auditing
- Casino Accounting
- Fraud Examination: Theory and Practice
- Experiential Education Projects in Financial Modeling and Valuation
- And more
To maximize the benefits of choosing electives, and because of different state requirements, students desiring to sit for the Uniform Certified Public Accountants examination are urged to contact their faculty advisor early in the program.
*Graduates of this program will earn a Bachelor of Science degree.
Want to explore careers in this field? Through EMSI’s Career Coach tool, you can browse careers by degree program and get research-backed information on various industries. You can also take an in-depth assessment to determine career suggestions based on your personal interests. For more information about Accounting careers, click the Career Coach button below.
You are now leaving Johnson & Wales’ (JWU) site and going to a site not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or availability of any site other than our own.The information provided on the site is provided by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). EMSI has indicated to us the information provided is fair and reasonable. We do not make any representations or warranties, nor do we accept liability or responsibility, as to the accuracy or use of the information. Additional links may also be provided, including those relating to employment opportunities.
You are responsible for performing due diligence, such as ensuring the listings are for actual jobs and that your private and personal information are protected, when using or relying on information from any site.
"This degree program is designed to introduce students to all aspects of accounting. You'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on topics that interest you." - David Cartwright, CPA, MS