What is a liberal arts degree? In short, this program prepares students to become agile thinkers with the analytical and communication skills it takes to examine issues from multiple perspectives and solve problems effectively—talents every business looks for in its employees. At JWU, our online Liberal Studies degree can help you develop the knowledge needed to bridge professional disciplines and learn skills that translate seamlessly between fields. During our online liberal arts degree program, you’ll be exposed to challenging coursework designed to help you learn the skills you need for a wide range of career options.
This degree program requires at least two full years of full-time work experience beyond the date of high school graduation or completion.
Ready to take the next step? Start your application today.
- 4 Years to complete your degree
- 8-week course length
- 16:1 student to faculty ratio
- 97.7% career outcomes rate
- 100% Online career-focused curriculum
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to:
- Apply oral and written rhetorical strategies to communicate complex arguments.
- Apply appropriate disciplinary criteria to examine complex issues, analyze arguments, conduct credible research, solve problems, make ethical decisions and create original ideas and/or approaches.
- Synthesize and apply knowledge from multiple perspectives to evaluate complex issues and address real-world problems.
- Critically examine and interpret the complexities of human culture, expression and/or behavior using the theories and methods of various disciplines in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
As a liberal studies major, you will:
- Benefit from our convenient, online format
- Apply learned techniques in real-world scenarios and projects
- Complete electives and requirements from a broad variety of courses
- Apply ethical standards and reasoning to complex issues and decisions
- Learn from experienced instructors who help you learn through practical applications of theory
During our Liberal Studies program, you’ll choose one of two distinct focuses:
- Arts & Culture track
- Science & Society track
Select from coursework in:
- Social Sciences
- Foreign Language
- Arts and Sciences
*Graduates of this program will earn a Bachelor of Science degree.
Want to explore careers in this field? Through EMSI’s Career Coach tool, you can browse careers by degree program and get research-backed information on various industries. You can also take an in-depth assessment to determine career suggestions based on your personal interests. For more information about Liberal Studies careers, click the Career Coach button below.
You are now leaving Johnson & Wales’ (JWU) site and going to a site not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or availability of any site other than our own.The information provided on the site is provided by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). EMSI has indicated to us the information provided is fair and reasonable. We do not make any representations or warranties, nor do we accept liability or responsibility, as to the accuracy or use of the information. Additional links may also be provided, including those relating to employment opportunities.
You are responsible for performing due diligence, such as ensuring the listings are for actual jobs and that your private and personal information are protected, when using or relying on information from any site.
“Students can work in their preferred setting, including preferred place and time. Night owls and early birds can both do the same work in their comfort zones.” — Scott Palmieri, PhD