Successful event organizers know that planning any type of event is no easy task. From sporting events and concerts to weddings and fundraisers, an experienced event manager understands the many moving parts and the organization required to plan and launch a successful event. Savvy event organizers utilize a variety of helpful event planning tools and event planning software solutions in their toolkit for a successful event every time.
Here are some of the most popular event management platforms and mobile event apps event planners use today, along with some information about how they help busy event organizers plan any type of event with ease.
The Event Planner Toolkit: 12 Top Event Planning Tools and Platforms
This popular event management and ticketing service allow planners to create and promote events in the local area. Eventbrite is a great way to sell tickets to your event and can function as your personal online ticketing service.
Create your own Trello board, lists, or cards to effectively collaborate with your fellow event organizers and overall team. Organize tasks, customize and manage projects, and work together via the free mobile app.
This social media management platform offers a user-friendly dashboard perfect for a social media manager and event planner. With Hootsuite, you can easily manage and monitor your social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube in one place. You can also utilize social listening and engage with your audience through the platform.
Used as a workplace communication tool, the Slack platform allows group chats as well as private messaging for your team or customers. It is a great event planning tool because it facilitates communication and allows you to share documents and images via an easy-to-use platform.
5. Zoom Events
If you are looking for event management software to help with everything from corporate events to weddings, Zoom Events is a good option. This all-in-one event platform combines hosting, ticketing, and management for your virtual events.
Mobile event apps like Slido allow you to engage with your audience through live polls, quizzes, word clouds, and more. Event planners may utilize Slido for in-person, hybrid, or virtual office events and meetings. This Q&A and polling event management platform enhances meeting experiences dedicated to productivity and engagement.
Successful event planners must be skilled at project management. Wrike is a great project management tool as it allows you to customize tools for your team, enable communication with other event organizations, and track your team’s progress.
Event planners enjoy using Monday.com for its versatility. From its CRM features and ability to manage advertising campaigns to project management (and even bug tracking), Monday.com can help with planning any type of event.
9. Google Drive
Quickly and efficiently share files and store them online for easy access with Google Drive. This cloud-based storage solution allows users to access files from anywhere via a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Google Drive also offers an easy way to securely upload and edit files, as well as share and collaborate with others.
10. Whova Mobile
This award-winning event planning solution helps planners attract and engage attendees with a modern vibe. It also helps event organizers effectively manage logistics for a successful event every time.
Everwall is a popular social media display wall with an analytics tool that tracks efforts for the best results. This platform does an excellent job with customization, sponsorship, and even advertising opportunities for all of your events and meetings.
If your event requires a ticketing solution, TicketSource may help. TicketSource offers ticketing, promoting, managing, printing, scanning and reporting features for your next event. Create your own personalized online box office system and organize it with ease.
Every event planner knows you need both skills and resources to be successful. Selecting an event management software that works well with your existing apps and programs can amplify your organizational skills and reduce stress. Using these valuable resources allows you to organize and concentrate on the details with your team.
How to Choose the Best Event Management Tools for Your Next Event
While there are a variety of effective tools to choose from today, it is a good idea to do your homework and understand the features you need. Features vary from event registration to event marketing and so on. Here are some tips to help you decide which platforms will work best for your unique situation.
Tips for Choosing an Event Management Tool
- Reliability – You need your event management software to be ready to work when you are and to provide consistent results. Research customer reviews to help you determine if a particular tool fits your needs.
- Features – Choose a platform that offers features that align closely with your needs and goals to help make your job easier. Before you begin to research event management platforms, consider making a list of features you know you need and compare them with the tool offering.
- Customer Support System – Verify that there is a dedicated customer service team ready to help with any issues or concerns you may have — this will help you transition to your selected platform with ease.
- User Experience – Working with user-friendly event planning tools is key to success. If you need to onboard for an extensive amount of time in order to begin your planning, the tool may not fit your needs.
- Customer Reviews – Case studies and user reviews are a good way to gauge the credibility of a product. Software companies thrive on positive reviews, as consumers are quick to advertise the pros and cons of a platform. Pay attention to reviews to help you choose the best tool for you.
- Compatibility – When choosing a new platform to help you with the event planning process, ensure it is compatible with the systems you are currently using.
- Pricing – Make sure the software you are considering offers a clear pricing structure that is competitive with similar platforms and features. Overpaying for a tool that lacks the features you need won’t help with your planning process.
Choosing Event Management as a Career
The event industry offers fun and lucrative career options for those who have excellent organization, people, and networking skills. In addition, there are a variety of abundant career opportunities, too. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the event industry to grow over 18% percent in the next eight years, which is much higher than the national average of growth for all jobs.
Since the main role of event planners is to act as a liaison between the host and the vendors and employees, exceptional organizational skills combined with a degree in Event Management, Sports Management, or Entertainment Management from a reputable university like Johnson & Wales University is a great way to jumpstart your career in the industry.
Career opportunities in event management allow you to specialize in the field, as well. Here are some of the possible career opportunities you may pursue with a degree from Johnson & Wales University:
Event Management Career Opportunities
- Activities Director
- Wedding Planner
- Campaign Coordinator
- Venue Manager
- Professional Sports Management
- Event Planner
- Catering Manager
- Volunteer Services Coordinator
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Special Events Manager
- Concert and Event Production
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Athletic Coaching and Administration
- International Exhibitions and Events
As an event planner, you’ll highlight your eye for detail, your passion for events, and your people skills. Effectively planning and managing logistics is the ultimate goal of a professional event planner, no matter how simple or elaborate the occasion.
Ready to Start Your Exciting Career as an Event Manager?
If you want to become an event manager, earn your bachelor’s degree in sports, entertainment, event – management or your MBA – Event Leadership from JWU. For more information about completing your degree online or on-campus, complete the Request Info form, call 855-JWU-1881, or email [email protected].