Have you ever wondered what makes for a good statement of purpose? Over the last five years, working in Admissions, I’ve found the following template to be extremely helpful.
- Start with the basics – why are you thinking of pursuing a graduate degree? For many of us, it will provide us with increased opportunities at work or help us standout to gain better access to securing an interview in an already saturated job market. Perhaps this is a personal goal; something you had always promised yourself you would complete.
- Once you’ve clearly identified your reasons for seeking an advanced degree, look to answer the question of “Why Johnson & Wales”? Are you familiar with the University? How so?
- If not, what lead you to consider JWU?
- Next, speak to your current work duties.
- Where do you see yourself in 2 years? In 5 years? Let us know your professional goals!
- Not yet employed? Let us know what your desired career field is and how you plan to pursue it.
- How do you foresee utilizing your advanced degree in your current or future profession?
- Will you seek a management position?
- Will you perhaps strike out in an entrepreneurial fashion in your own venture?
- Finally, let us know what makes your life experiences and skills a valuable addition to the online classroom.
- Are you a good team leader?
- Do you have excellent organizational and time management skills?
- Be as clear and concise as possible and remember – SPELL CHECK! Over the years, I have seen documents that lack punctuation and proper grammar.
There are no “wrong” Statements of Purpose. Taking time to thoughtfully craft your response to these questions should help bring out what makes you an excellent candidate. Best of luck as you pursue your educational goals.