From the city councils that determine where infrastructure dollars are spent to election campaigns at local, state and federal levels, the importance of political science is all around us. It’s more than a matter of political theory or an examination of what it means to be in public service, it’s the world we live in. Political science affects everything we do.
Are you interested in the ideas, policies, processes and institutions that govern our country, our communities and our daily lives? Then learn what it takes to engage with questions of power, governance, justice, and injustice in American and global politics through the Bachelor of Science – Political Science degree program from Johnson & Wales University online.
Your online bachelor's degree in political science will help deepen your understanding of political literacy and communication, civic and global engagement, ethical decision making, and the application of theory to politics. You’ll cover international relations, communications, public life and more as you develop the tools you need to pursue career opportunities in and around public administration and government agencies.
Plus, this major’s three electives—American/U.S. Politics, International and Comparative Politics, and Political Thought, Communication, and Practice—let you tailor your studies to your future political science career.
Bottom line? Whether you want to pursue a career in politics or you just want to be more effective in your civic engagement at a local level, it all starts with the right education. Develop your leadership skills and political savvy with this online bachelor’s degree in political science from Johnson & Wales University.
Ready to take the next step? Start your application today.
This program is offered in collaboration with JWU’s John Hazen White College of Arts & Sciences.
- 4 Years to complete your degree
- 8-week course length*
- 15:1 student to faculty ratio
- 96.8% career outcomes rate
- 100% Online career-focused curriculum
This online bachelor’s degree in political science will help you explore the concepts of public service, civic engagement and government leadership more thoroughly. It will give you a more comprehensive understanding of political theory and how different groups, ideas, interests and more can impact public policy. Coursework covers every aspect of government, public life and politics. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity customize your studies to your politically oriented aspirations with major electives in areas like American politics, international relations and political thought and communication. Upon completion of this Bachelor of Science in Political Science degree, graduates will have the skills necessary to:
- Analyze a diversity of political systems, movements, issues and the dynamic nature of international relations.
- Apply political theory to the practice of politics and political science.
- Demonstrate fluency in the fundamentals of political communications in a variety of professional contexts and settings.
- Effectively employ qualitative and quantitative research methods as appropriate to data demands and contexts.
- Articulate and integrate core ethical principles and standards that define public service and the professional practice of political science.
- Benefit from our 100-percent online format, designed to fit your schedule
- Take advantage of four convenient start dates that allow you to begin when you are ready
- Participate in experiential education, which gives you real-world exposure
- Learn from faculty who are industry experts with years of professional experience
- Prepare for a variety of careers in business
While pursuing your online political science degree, you’ll cover political theory, comparative politics, public policy and more through undergraduate courses like:
- Introduction to Political Science
- International Relations and World Politics
- Comparative Politics and Government
- American Politics, Policy and Institutions
- And more
*Some courses may be 16 weeks long.
Want to explore careers in this field? Through EMSI’s Career Coach tool, you can browse careers by degree program and get research-backed information on various industries. You can also take an in-depth assessment to determine career suggestions based on your personal interests. For more information about Political Science careers, click the Career Coach button below.
You are now leaving Johnson & Wales’ (JWU) site and going to a site not operated by us. We are not responsible for the content or availability of any site other than our own.The information provided on the site is provided by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). EMSI has indicated to us the information provided is fair and reasonable. We do not make any representations or warranties, nor do we accept liability or responsibility, as to the accuracy or use of the information. Additional links may also be provided, including those relating to employment opportunities.
You are responsible for performing due diligence, such as ensuring the listings are for actual jobs and that your private and personal information are protected, when using or relying on information from any site.