The restaurant industry continues to explode around the globe, requiring educated and experienced managers who are ready to take on leadership positions. According to the National Restaurant Association, the food and beverage industry is the largest U.S. employer besides the government. Our online Restaurant, Food & Beverage Management bachelor’s degree program provides a unique combination of hospitality management and food service.
While culinary classes are not offered online, the focus of this program is on current restaurant and food service management industry topics. Students in this program will also develop proficiency in the area of beverage management. Other areas of study include critical thinking, financial analysis, industry technology, social media, leadership and customer awareness to prepare students for a management career in the food service industry. Students are given the opportunity to work toward industry-recognized certifications, including responsible alcohol service, national sanitation (a graduation requirement) and the International School of Mixology Bartending Certificate.
Students are required to fulfill culinary requirements, either at JWU or elsewhere, before enrolling in this program.
- 11-week courses
- Competitive tuition
- Learn from industry leaders
- Career-focused curriculum
What can you do with a food and beverage management degree? As a student in this program, you’ll acquire the ability to:
- Apply the major concepts, skills and values of the restaurant, food and beverage profession to address industry problems both locally and globally
- Communicate effectively to diverse audiences, purposes and situations in the restaurant and food and beverage operations
- Use decision-support tools to solve problems and facilitate organizational processes within the food and beverage environment
- Integrate current industry technologies in all aspects of food and beverage management.
- Attain relevant industry-recognized certifications
- Integrate industry-specific knowledge and skills in managing food and beverage operations
- Benefit from our convenient online format, designed to fit your schedule
- Take advantage of four convenient start dates that allow you to begin when you are ready
- Participate in experiential education, which gives you real-world exposure
- Learn from faculty who are industry experts with years of professional experience
- Prepare for a variety of management and leadership careers in the food, beverage and restaurant management industry.
Students may apply their skills in internships and study abroad programs. These programs are tailored based on student learning and professional goals, jointly designed in collaboration with students, faculty advisors and business partners. Students also meet with faculty advisors to determine a specialty area and career focus that best suits their desired professional objectives.
While pursuing your online restaurant, food & beverage management bachelor’s degree, you’ll take major courses like:
- Introduction to the Food Service Field
- Beverage Appreciation
- Social Media Marketing
- Hotel Food and Beverage Operations Control
- Front of the House Operations Management
- And more
*Graduates of this program will earn a Bachelor of Science degree.
Click here for complete course information for the program.