Each term, we welcome a whole a new group of transfer students who have taken courses from across the country and all over the world. It’s easy to get started, and once you are accepted, you can take classes right from your own home!

*Are you a current JWU student? Please see your advisor on campus to fill out the Campus Transfer form.


  • Get maximum credit for previous college-level education
  • Get credit for life experiences and military service
  • Competitively priced tuition and financial assistance options
  • Small online class sizes
  • Industry-experienced faculty
  • Experiential learning
  • Complete course assignments, activities and lectures when it works for you


To help you save time and money toward your degree, our liberal transfer credit policies give you maximum credit for your previous college-level education, life experiences, and more. We accept most previously earned college credit from regionally and nationally accredited institutions. Continue reading to learn more about our transfer student requirements and ways to earn credit.

Easy-to-use Transfer Evaluation System (TES)

The TES system tells you which courses have previously been evaluated and accepted at Johnson & Wales University. Here’s how to use it:

Step 1: Determine what courses you’ll need to complete for your program by reviewing the course catalog for your enrollment term or your degree audit.

Step 2: Select the school(s) you previously attended.

Step 3: Locate the courses you’ve completed with a grade of “C” or better (numeric value 2.0).

Step 4: Add the courses to your list.

Step 5: Compare your list to the courses in your selected program of study to determine what courses you MAY receive credit for. The system will also tell you which courses you’ll still need to complete at Johnson & Wales University.

The information provided is to be used as a guide and is subject to change without notice.

Earning credit for previous academic and learning experiences

JWU offers “prior learning assessment credit,” allowing you to earn credits for the knowledge or skills you’ve mastered. Credit can be earned through portfolio development or with departmental challenge examinations (credit by examination) through Testing Services. JWU also accepts College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examination credit. 

Transfer FAQs

Am I required to submit high school and college transcripts?

Yes. You’ll need to submit BOTH an official GED or high school transcript AND transcripts from all the colleges and universities you’ve attended.

What grade is considered for transfer?

For undergraduate-level courses, only courses from an accredited institution where you’ve earned a grade of “C” or better are considered for transfer. For graduate-level courses, only courses from an accredited institution where you’ve earned a grade of “B” or better are considered for transfer.

Do the grades I earn at another school affect my GPA at Johnson & Wales?

No. Transfer courses will not be calculated toward your JWU GPA.

Does Johnson & Wales award transfer credit for CEU?

No. We do not accept Continuing Education Units (CEUs).

How are military credits from my Joint Service Transcript evaluated?

We award transfer credits based on the Joint Service Transcripts, the American Council on Education’s recommendations and how those recommendations pertain to your program.

I am a U.S. citizen but attended school in a foreign country. Will I need to have my documents evaluated?

No. We perform our evaluations internally. However, English translations must accompany all documents written in a foreign language.

What if I defer my enrollment to Johnson & Wales?

If you change your enrollment within an academic year, your transfer credits should not change. However, if you exceed the year, changes may occur as a result of any changes to the previous year’s curriculum.

When do I register for my classes?

Student Academic Services will register you for your first term of classes. After that, you will register yourself for any remaining terms.
We suggest speaking to an online academic advisor before your registration start date to create an Academic Planner for your remaining courses.


We’re here for you to answer any of your questions — contact us for more information.

For information regarding academic program licensing and certification, visit the Licensure & Professional Certification Disclosures page of the catalog.

Step 1Step 1 of 2
*Required Field Step 1 of 2
Step 2

By clicking Get Started below, I consent to receive recurring marketing/promotional e-mails, phone calls, and SMS/text messages from Johnson & Wales University (JWU) about any educational/programmatic purpose (which relates to my inquiry of JWU) at the e-mail/phone numbers (landline/mobile) provided, including calls or texts made using an automatic telephone dialing system and/or artificial/prerecorded voice messages. My consent applies regardless of my inclusion on any state, federal, or other do-not-call lists. Consent is not a condition for receipt of any good or service. Carrier charges may apply. Terms and conditions apply.

« Previous Step 2 of 2
Request info

Upcoming Start Dates







Apply Now